Application Deadline: December 21, 2016
Start Date: January 2017
Cow Over Moon Children’s Theatre was established in 1996 by a group of theatre students at Cawthra Park Secondary School, Mississauga. Twenty years later, Cow Over Moon is still going strong, producing one new show per year and touring to venues and festivals in Mississauga and Toronto. Cow Over Moon Children’s Theatre is dedicated to creating and producing quality, accessible theatre productions for children and families. By creating original scripts with a contemporary message, incorporating classic themes and teachable moments, the artists at Cow Over Moon engage their audience through the transformative power of theatre.
Our approach to creating theatre for children is unique. The Artistic Director will select a classic folk or fairy tale to be re-imagined and work with the Director to develop a synopsis. Using the synopsis as a starting point, the action and details of the show will be fleshed out by the cast and creative team, through Cow Over Moon’s unique style of improv-based script and character development. We have a responsibility as producers of children’s theatre not only to entertain and welcome children to the world of theatre, but also to deliver open minded and thought provoking perspectives.
Cow Over Moon’s seven member working board assists with many administrative duties (minutes, financial tracking, etc.). The board also assists with graphic design and development of curriculum-based study guides.
The Associate Producer reports to the Artistic Director and assists in implementing Cow Over Moon’s projects and Strategic plan. Specifically the Associate Producer:
- Negotiates contracts with venues and presenters, including schools, childcare centres, festivals, etc. under the direction of the Artistic Director.
- Assists the Artistic Director with long term planning for the company, participates in the creative process of the company and brainstorms ideas for casting, storylines and production work.
- Maintains update school and childcare centre information and contacts.
- Handles on-line and box office sales and maintains statistical information on same.
- Negotiates contracts with the creative team for each project, under the direction of the Artistic Director.
- Researches granting agencies and assists in the preparation of funding requests.
- Assists the Artistic Director in developing marketing plan, including researching information for editorial, listings and advertising opportunities.
- Implements on-line and print advertising program for each new production.
- Provides support for proof reading and editing of all materials.Researches new products and relationships such as in-school services, leading improv classes, developing workshops, etc.
Experience and Skills:
- Practical experience in theatrical production, direction and/or administration, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in Theatre/Performing Arts, Music, Drama or related field of study or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Proven ability in grant-writing and fundraising.
- Good knowledge, experience and networks in the arts communities of Mississauga and Toronto.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills and the ability to work easily with diverse groups of people.
- A strong collaborative, team-driven ethic with proven ability to engage and inspire others to achieve organizational goals.
We encourage you to apply if you share our values:
- Creativity and Collaboration: Cow Over Moon values excellence, professionalism, integrity, and a creative and collaborative artistic process.
- Audience Engagement: Cow Over Moon believes in engaging our audience in learning through imaginative play and humour.
- Diversity: Cow Over Moon welcomes diversity in its audience, creative team, and source material.
- Accessibility: Cow Over Moon is committed to ensuring that ticket prices and venues are accessible to all families.
Please send letters of interest and resumes, by email, to Gwen Maloney, President, Cow Over Moon Children’s Theatre at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is December 21, 2016. Cow Over Moon values diversity and encourages candidates from diverse cultural backgrounds to apply. While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.